Friday, January 11, 2013

Font of information, laugh-instigator, colleague and friend

Through my nearly ten years at Stanford, Lindi mentored me through the intricacies that come with applying university policy and culture to everyday situations with grace, professionalism and humor. I had the opportunity to thank her in-person over the years, but this is a public thank you from me and on behalf of those of us in the biology department whom have benefited from her collegiality, circumspection, and willingness to brainstorm. Calling Lindi was always a treat; she always answered the phone in a manner that let me know she was prepared for whatever situation I was about to propose. She was the first person I called when the department was considering a name change several years ago; we had a good laugh about the former names of the biology department which I believe included the Department of Hygiene. But immediately following this, I could tell (over the phone) that she was rolling up her sleeves, putting on her thinking cap, and formulating steps, lists, concerns, etc. She helped me get through my fear of the situation, connected me with key colleagues on campus, and together, we did it; we survived a departmental name change without any hiccups. Just one of many examples of Lindi's impact. As a long-term tribute to Lindi, I plan to use the skills and knowledge gleaned from her to continue to put my best foot forward each day to support the teaching and research on campus.

Valerie Kiszka
administrative services manager in Classics (formerly student services manager in biology)

1 comment:

rs gold for sale said...

except this web site provides feature based
articles.Thank you and good luck.

buy runescape gold
Cheap FFXIV Gil